STEPS TO CURATING A SAFE SUNSCREEN EVENT:
- PROVIDE &/or SELL ONLY SUNSCREEN SAFE FOR PEOPLE, CORALS, MARINE LIFE, THE ‘AINA. Safe sunscreens are “mineral” sunscreens free of dangerous hormone disruptors, carcinogens and toxins including: Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Octocrylene, Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octisalate, Parabens, Nano-Particles, Phenoxyethanol, PEGs, Fragrance / Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Phthalates, Cocomide DEA,Methylisothiazolinone, 4-Methyl-Benzylidene Camphor, BHT, Polymethyl Methacrylate.
- PROVIDE SUNSCREEN EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION in the form of signs, banners, educational cards, &/or speakers at the event.
- CREATE SOCIAL MEDIA posts prior to the event that include:
- Letting guests know this is a “Safe Sunscreen Event” and that safe sunscreen will be sold &/or provided at the event. Use the Safe Sunscreen Event badge supplied upon approval.
- Request guests only bring mineral sunscreen to the event. “Reef Safe” labels on sunscreen bottles is unregulated and does not mean a sunscreen is safe. Request guests be conscious consumers; that they should flip the bottle and read the ingredients. This includes prohibiting aerosols: inhalation of aerosol sunscreen is dangerous. These atomized chemicals travel hundreds of feet in the breeze. They coat the ‘aina having a negative impact on the environment.Direct guests to take the Safe Sunscreen Pledge: bantoxicsunscreens.com/safe-sunscreen-pledge
- Suggested hashtags: #safesunscreenevent #bantoxicsunscreens #reefsafesunscreen #hawaiilife #malamaaina #luckywelifehawaii #safesunscreenpledge #safesunscreencoalition #flipthebottle #readtheingredients #protecthawaii
OPTION – SUNSCREEN TRADE-INS: Work with (a) sunscreen company(s) to provide free safe sunscreen samples &/or discount on safe sunscreen WITH a “chemical sunscreen trade-in.” Use hashtag #greatsunscreentradein
FEES: $25 (Non-profit $20). Upon approval you will receive: 100 Sunscreen Pledge Cards; a badge to use on marketing materials; banners to use for the event (depending on availability); PDFs to print your own educational cards, signs, banners. Follow us and tag us in posts @bantoxicsunscreens @safesunscreencoalition. Send info on your event to info at bantoxicsunscreens (dot) com Subject: SAFE SUNSCREEN EVENT. Events will be promoted on our social media and included in events calender and emails. Funds help us produce and share sunscreen education materials.